Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I can shut the doors!

The room off of the kitchen, which we've come to call the Magnitude Room [named after Magnitude from Community on NBC] has made HUGE strides since we bought the house.  It's even looking quite pretty, dare I say.  
When we bought the house, it looked like this:

 Pinkish beige everywhere.  Mismatched shelves.  Weird hardware placement.
So I filled in the holes from the knobs, primed and painted everything [which I shared in my post about painting ALL THE THINGS.] and then it started to look less pink:

 Then it pretty much sat in this state for, oh, a month.  Oops.  And every time I would instagram a photo that included that room, I'd cringe at the cabinet doors slightly ajar [if the doors would get shut, it would be a HUGE pain to try to get them open again.  You know, because of the whole 'no knobs = no way to open the door' thing].  But really, dear readers, the issue that was holding me up was a paralyzing fear of effing the new handles up.  I adore the handles I picked [these aren't the exact ones; looks like they're out of the size I got, but yes, they're super affordable!], but they're 9 inches long, and aaaannnnyyyy little imperfection in getting things square would turn out super noticeable.  And it would drive me so crazy, I would have to move.  You know, that old story.
I finally decided to nut up and just get it done, so I could close those damn doors again!
I tried the YHL method with the cardstock template and taping it to the doors...


And immediately abandoned it.  My cabinet doors are slightly rounded on the edges, and I just didn't feel like I could get things squared up enough to be absolutely perfect.  So I just did a lot of "measuring, marking, measuring again" business.  And got her done.  So now the doors are shut, and some shiny brass is classing up my house!  Add to that the new Nate Berkus rug I scored for $45, and it's getting soooo prettier:
 Let's see that before and after again, since it makes my heart happy:
 BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.  I'm just in all kinds of a sprucing up mood, and the very same day, I picked up some gorgeous midcentury sofas and a chair [I practically stole them, they were so cheap], and now the room looks like this:
 Not sold on the placement just yet, though I do love them.  I just need to live with it a while before I settle on something.  But until then, I'm just admiring these lovely ladies' curves:

 The matching chair, in its' temporary-yet-beautiful home, the palm I found at Walmart for $5, and the house maltese.

 I love this view :)
______________________________
The couches are only *mostly* perfect though.  They had been recently reupholstered in a lovely greenish tone that uncannily fits nearly everything in my house, but they did one side of the cushions in this:
And yeah, it's just...out. For all to see. So I'll keep you posted with a remedy, hopefully sooner rather than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment