Monday, October 26, 2015

The Nursery - revealed!

It's finished!  And juuuuust in time - little lady should be making her debut any day now.
It's been a few months since I checked in with the progress, but honestly there wasn't much to show - the big changes [carpet, paint, a vague idea of what goes where] I showed you in the last post, and then it was pretty much just finishing everything.  Which took a long time.  But it's finished!
Before I get to the pics, I thought I'd share the idea behind the design.  So basically, babies could not care less about what their room looks like, so they're always just filled with things that the parents think babies like.  But since I don't think Bea is even going to look twice at anything, I filled the room with things that I like.  Stuff that makes me [and to a little extent, Brandon] happy.  So: inside you'll find midcentury furniture/art, some boho textures, random decor & brass things I got from an antique store, pretty colors & patterns.  Pretty much what you'll find in the rest of the house.
Also, since babies could give a rip about their room, we also decided it's not worth going crazy overboard.  No need to spend thousands, because in the next few years she'll just want a 'big girl room' anyway.  So aside from getting carpet [obviously an expense, but it's definitely way better to have new carpet rather than old, especially with a crawling baby], our budget was $1000.  Oh, I should probably also add that my mom gifted us the crib & mattress.  Without that, I guess our budget would have been closer to $1500 [thanks, Mom!]  And for the most part, I did it!  I went a *teeny* bit over, but it was for a really good reason.  You'll see why in a bit.  But all in all, it ended up being a pretty happy little room :)


 The dresser was a hand-me-down on Brandon's side, and I adore it - it's midcentury, slightly feminine, and had some interesting hardware [which was originally pewter, but I sprayed brass.  Because everything must be gold, you know.] 
**note: design blogs would hide the wipes holder, diaper genie, baby monitor - basically any of the necessary evils that exist in a modern working baby room.  I left them all in, because I'm real and I intend to put a real human baby in this room.  She'll have a dirty butt sometimes, and dirty diapers, and she'll need to be monitored while she sleeps.**
 The mirror was a great score from South County Antique Mall for a whole $25!
Brandon built me this little shelf from red oak, which I stained dark walnut [and I'm still surprised how well it blends into the rest of the woods in room].  It's the perfect spot for a little lamp and some lovely Beatrice-inspired things: the vintage bee print, the Rifle Paper Co. rose print [her middle name is Rose], and the cool gold B.
I just happened to see these happy little elephants this spring at my favorite antique store in Farmington, MO, for $6 total.  Shined them up with Brasso, and they're among my favorite things in the room :)
 I've been obsessed with these Eames elephants forever - and my awesome mom got one for me Bea!
 [I know you're not supposed to have animals and pillows in the crib, but she's not in the crib yet.  So for now, they're bringing some color to that side of the room]
THIS.  This mobile is why I went over the [very arbitrary] budget.  Can you see why?!  It's a gorgeous Calder-inspired beauty, and from an etsy seller in Columbia, MO - perfect for these two Mizzou grads.  Plus, it'll look pretty in any room in the house - we can have this thing forever!
 The rocking chair belonged to my great grandma, who must have been my exact size - this chair fits me like a glove! [fellow short people probably know my problem of most chairs' arms being too big and tall for my elbows to hit correctly, and not having my feet on the floor when sitting all the way in the chair].  AND the fur footstool!  Also a DIY, with a little tutorial coming your way soon :)
I came up with a plan of a little bench to put in here, and Brandon skillfully built it!  The hairpin legs [from Amazon] make me happy :)  PLUS - we can do stuff like add an upholstered cushion for the top, or get fabric bins to slide into the cubbies - the squares are 11x11, the size of the colorful fabric storage drawers from Target.  Pretty happy about that thought! What else makes me happy?  The woven basket hamper that my Grandma made in 1984, and the happy little liner I sewed for it :)

 The MCM brass lamp has been in my parents' possession for about a decade I think - Dad picked it up at an auction.  It's legit brass - it weighs a ton!  It's extra sweet because he cleaned it up a long time ago - all I had to do was put it on the table and plug it in.
The giant macrame is one of my favorite things, and a complete DIY.  Have you looked on etsy for a big one?!  We're talking $300-400.  So I did what I do best - made one to save money.  It's just knots, for Pete's sake. I can tie knots.
I'll have another little tutorial up soon!  [Maybe.  Depends on when she gets here ;)]

 I love this happy little cluster of art! From the left: the giraffe should look very familiar to all of you [and if it's not familiar, we can't be friends anymore.]; the fun Starchild painting I did was in reference to the fact that we called her 'Starchild' before we knew her gender [rather than saying 'the nugget' or 'the bean' or something like that]; Rocky & and miss Sadie in ink & watercolor.

 I also designed a little poster for above the rocking chair, which is Kiss reference #2 for the room [how many nurseries have Kiss references?  Ours does, of course.]

So!  A year ago we had a sad, dark, beige guest room that looked like this:
 And now, after several big life changes, we have us a sweet little MidCentury, boho, eclectic and happy nursery:
Sources of stuff:
Crib: AllModern | Honeycomb Rug: Society6 | Eames Elephant knockoff: Amazon | Sheet & Crib Skirt: Land of Nod | Lambskin rug: TJMaxx [not online, but occasionally in store] | Dresser: vintage | Mirror: vintage | Badass Brass Mobile: etsy | Mint Floor Lamp: Crate & Barrel | Elephant lamp: Target [not online] | Gold B on shelf: Hobby Lobby | White side table: Target [also not online] | Book ledges: IKEA

I think that's it.... if anyone is dying to know where I got something and I didn't mention it already, just hit me up in the comments!

4 comments:

  1. Love it all! Cannot wait to see her pretty face, so soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it and congratulations :) I love the "Mad Men" print... I would point the artwork and other decor out to my husband every time they had scene's at the Campbell's pad!!! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love what you have done perfection as always ! ( Lil' Bea is so lucky and so is Grandma T )

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a mother of three and grandmother of two I see two views of this nursery. One: It is very beautiful, you have some wonderful ides. Two, the macrome is beautiful and I would love to see it on my wall, but I would move it away from the crib and grasping fingers, all to soon baby will be pulling up and grabbing. I also see a changing pad that does not look attached and has a lamp cord within inches of baby, also the breakables and plants within inches of baby. Love the story of the rocker and best wishes for a happy healthy baby.

    ReplyDelete