Friday, May 22, 2015

BIG plans for the guest room!

There are a few rooms that have been SERIOUSLY neglected since we moved in, while we focused time + energy [let's be real - I really mean money] on the rooms that people see the most. The stuff that's on the blog, and that I actually want to share.
One of those rooms is the guest room.  The poor, neglected, still-beige guest room.  The last time it was on the blog was for the Six Month Post - I didn't even deem it necessary to include it in the One Year post!  So here it was last fall, after we had lived here at the Haus for 6 months:
And I guess I didn't really want to include it in the One Year post, because little had 'officially' changed, as far as purposeful design.  In all reality though, it did change - this is how it looks today.  [just keeping it 100 on the blog - I'm sure all of you have neglected rooms that look the same.  ....please tell me you do!] 
The treadmill has its home here, along with a TV & an old PS3 [because how do you spend an hour on the treadmill without streaming Sex and the City to keep you company?]  Along with all of my wrapping gear that I parked in here at Christmas, some random stuff that needs to go to Goodwill, and a dresser [and a headboard with bedrails, that are just out of the frame] we recently inherited.
It's pretty much a mess.  Doors are closed at all times to minimize embarrassment.
BUT!  Its time has come!  In our continued effort in the aforementioned 'Battle of the Beige' we've waged at the Haus, we've decided to spring for new - NON BEIGE - carpet in the master bedroom, guest bedroom, and hallway.  All rooms that will make a HUGE impact. 
I went carpet shopping at the same local place we bought our hardwood flooring, and brought home a palette of swatches to see which is best:
I picked a low-pile carpet, in a pattern mix of berber and cut berber, for a nice subtle pattern that has an organic feel.  While choosing the perfect color, I held it up in just about every room, in every light, against the wood wall, the stone wall, and the marble floor, to make sure everything was perfect.  I of course was looking at the greys in the palette [you know, because of the 'Battle of the Beige'] 
I settled on the bottom left swatch, named 'Destin' because it's super classy like that.  It's a nice neutral [but still warm] grey, that suited just about everything.  Light to brighten things up, but not too light that we'll also have to wage a war of the 'Battle of the Puppy Prints' everywhere. 
I can't wait to see how it brightens up our room, how it looks when you see the end of the hallway carpet against the marble floor, and how it transforms the guest room to make it look 'ours.'
In addition to the new non-beige carpet, I'll also paint the walls [because over a year later, they're still - you guessed it - beige], and I'll paint the wedge of wall above the wood & painted walls a really bright white, to keep it light and airy in there [they're also beige, just a lighter tone of beige.  But....beige.  How many times can I say 'beige' in one post?]
I'll also be adding some new, thought-out furniture, instead of using the hodge podge of hand me down stuff, and leftovers from the old house.
Just to get an idea of how it'll look all together, I did some crude photoshopping to see how the new carpet and wall colors will work in there, along with some new furniture. 

Check it out!

What do you think?!

Yep - you guessed it - I got knocked up [4 months pregnant now, actually!] and the new, purposeful furniture in the guest room will transform it into a nursery!  [as soon as I found out I was pregnant, the new carpet jumped waaaay up the list of 'to do' around here]
I photoshopped some stuff in that I know will be in here, or just a general idea of it.  MidCentury [duh] with an eclectic mix of colors, patterns and textures for a comfortable boho vibe.  I think :)
This is just the 'gender neutral' version - we'll actually find out next Thursday if it's going to be a Girl's room or a Boy's room, and then after the carpet is installed, the fun can begin!

Stay tuned for updates!

2 comments:

  1. Betsey told me about your house blog just today. I have thoroughly enjoyed going through the posts/pictures! It looks like a really neat place! I feel like I had an inside scoop on the carpet since I already knew about it as of yesterday, lol. Just wanted to say hi! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impatiently awaiting the update! Love both of your blogs!

    ReplyDelete