Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Just call me Megan Draper.

Because my name is Megan and I just put some drapes on some windows. 
After we got those beautiful hardwood floors laid [which, yes, I still owe you a post!  actually, I still need to put the finishing touches on the floor itself first....] we had a bit of an echo problem.  Surprising, right?  I mean, it's just a ton of wood, stone and glass - why in the world would there be an echo? 
So I set about finding the perfect drapes, so I can keep the clean lines of the windows, without froofing things up too much.
I settled on a simple set of charcoal gray blackout panels, with a subtle sheen and texture.  I didn't want a crazy pattern or color to draw too much attention - just something simple and clean.  JCPenney for the win!  Found a pair for $40 a panel, with a grommet top to keep things extra lovely.
Did you know it's incredibly hard to find affordable, really simple curtain rods?  Everything I saw [even at Target!  for the first time in my life, they let me down.  It was a sad day....] was too frilly or scrolly, and just too overdone.  But on a whim I decided to pop into Kohls, and they had exactly what I wanted.  Simple, clean and dark, so as not to draw too much attention.  And as a bonus, they were on sale for $14 each!
Anyhoo.  I'm sure curtain talk is just as exciting as you thought it would be, but to change it up, here's another before and after:

Just enough to muffle some sound, soften edges, and when closed we can become hermit-like cave dwellers and binge watch Mad Men all day. 
SIDE NOTE.  In the precap of the year [see what I did there?] I posted in January, I added 'get chair upholstered' in the list.  Here it is, all avocado, matted and funny-smelling in the corner:
I was dead set on a dark peacock tweedy-textured fabric for the chair.  But then on Pinterest the other day I came across this lovely photo, which looked strangely familiar:
 [from this tumblr]
And I fell in love.  The colors and textures are amazing, and I noticed that all of the furniture is grey.  I assumed in my house all grey would be a tad flat, but this......this is amazing.  DAMN.  Now I have no idea.  [and I don't need help in the waffling on decisions department]
So, dear readers, I need your help! 
I've crudely photoshopped both options - teal and grey - so you can help me decide!  Put your vote in the comments so I can make a damn decision!
1:
2:

Then once I make a decision, and make a phone call like a grown up, I'll get it reupholstered and she'll look all shiny and new :)

8 comments:

  1. Not a fan of the gray (maybe if it were darker or lighter than the couch?)...and I guess I was imagining a more "muted" teal kind of color as I read. Like something with a bit of gray to it? If it were a warmer (?) teal, I'd choose that.

    I'm not helpful, huh?

    Really, I'm a fan of the avocado but if it smells funky, then I understand needing it upholstered. Hope you come to a satisfactory decision! Can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really feeling that pinterest photo and a dark gray. It would just flow so nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The peacock looks really nice with the teal lamp you currently have sitting next to the chair. If you think the lamp will stay there for the long haul, and you plan on putting a few other teal/peacock notes in the room, I would say go with the teal. If you are like me, and your décor accent pieces regularly move around the house (or find new homes all together), such that the teal lamp may not always live there, I would say go with the grey. It allows you to change accent colors in the room over time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teal! (My hubby agrees also!) I think the inspiration photo works because that rug adds TONS of texture to the space. I think if you go neutral, that would be the key, layers of texture :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yellow! Just kidding.... Teal is my fav, and the color is more "you" ;)

    ReplyDelete