Sunday, March 2, 2014

LOTS OF PAINTING

Though this will be a kind of boring post, this is the stage we are with the house, and it's slowly transforming into something that feels like 'us'!  
From Thursday through Saturday, it was painting time.  My mom helped me knock out 4 rooms in one day.  We painted the master bedroom, my office, the laundry room, and Brandon's office [the house has 4 bedrooms, so we can both spread out ;)].  
First up: the master bedroom [mom got on the tallest ladder and did the tall part, due to my near-crippling fear of heights]
 


A nice muted mossy green to bring out the color of the wood.  It'll go nicely with our charcoal gray drapes and bedding, and some dark furniture I'm planning. It'll hopefully end up being an uber cool moody cave, with some funky 60s and 70s throwbacks [anyone who knows me is not shocked]

_____________________
My office: kind of a sage green before, that somehow felt sad.  The walls were also super dirty and marked all over with pencil & crayon. [I also inherited some old curtains!  which are now dropcloths for painting and other various projects]

Now a nice, neutral greenish-bluish-grey.  [and with much better curtains!] 
Very calming for hours upon hours at the computer, and a nice base for colorful artwork and office supplies I'll fill it with.  And at least now it's really clean.
___________________________
The laundry room: before, beige [of course]


Now the same greenish-bluish-grey as my office.  
I have this color in my current kitchen, and I've been obsessed with it for a few years, hence picking it for the hew house.  It's an easy neutral that works extremely well with all of my favorite bright colors: teal, mustard, orange, plum, emerald, etc.  Plus, with everything else going on, I didn't want more to think about.  I just went to Wal-Mart [yes! Wal-Mart! they have great quality paint, and I usually find any color I'm looking for] got 2 gallons of Dusty Miller, and it was done.

Aaaand I forgot to take pics of Brandon's office.  It wasn't originally in the plans, but I found a nice gallon of grey paint in my basement, so I tossed it in the car.  Mom painted it, and now it's gray [and wood.  Of course there's wood ;)]
______________________
Also on Thursday, I started working on my built in shelves & cabinets off the kitchen.  Did you think I was going to let them be pinkish-beige for one. minute. longer?

For starters, I really don't like the placement of the hardware, so off they came.  I filled the holes with putty, let them dry, sanded them, and filled them again, on Thursday.
Then Friday I taped my new inherited dropcloths over the stone hearth, and spend h o u r s priming them.  [I'm a huge fan of this stuff, which I had tinted a medium grey.  It sticks like nothing else - I've had the same gallon for about 6 years and have used it a ton, even for painting formica counter tops]
So Saturday they were ready to paint!  Brandon and I loaded up the car with more stuff to move down [slowly but surely getting stuff out of the old house into the new one], and mom and I tag teamed this B, and by the end of the day, the beige was gone:
The color is Falcon, from Valspar; dark grey is tricky, and it took me forever to find one that's dark, but not too dark, neutral, but with some green undertones, but not too green.  [Brandon's a lucky guy, eh?]  I LOVE the way it looks against the walnut, and with the stone. 

Now we just need our quartz counters to arrive, then I can tile the back splash, and we can move in and load up the cabinets!


3 comments:

  1. I need to find the northern Kentucky version of your house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somehow I remember seeing about you and your new (amazing) house..as a fellow photog, we have several photog friends in common! Anyway, I saw this link on MoModern (if you haven't found out about that store...you should check it out!) and I thought of your house and progress when I saw it!

    http://m.stltoday.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/s-ladue-ranch-is-perfectly-preserved/article_8c04c2c8-816a-54cd-8c52-b9b41aafb8d0.html?mobile_touch=true

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh! thanks so much for sharing that article! ...I wonder if they'd notice any of their furniture suddenly missing... ;) And yes, I've drooled over many things at MoModerne. It's my happy place.

      Delete