Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Let's get weird.

In order to combat the beige problem that's plaguing the house, every. room. needs. to. be. painted.  Since every room needs attention, I'm slowly making my way through, picking and choosing the ones that are the easiest to tackle.  So next up on the list is the hall bath!  Impossibly large, impossibly beige, and very boring.  Rather than completely gutting all of the tile to make it more our style [which may happen in the future] I just do what I always do - paint.


 Pretty simple fix here.  I decided to paint the walls bright white [which I don't think I have ever done.  It felt....different.]  My goal was to emphasize the wood wall and lend a sort of 70s vibe to the room.  So in went some pops of blues and greens, funny planters, and some inviting texture to put it together.

 the fun planters I set on the counter are now officially living there!  they're fun :)  I added some softness with towels and a rug [Nake Berkus, is there anything you can't make beautiful?] to complement the new bright ombre shower curtain.
_______________________
So.  After I took the photos of the 'done' room, it just didn't feel right.  It was clean and bright, and not beige, just like I planned.  But it just wasn't me.  It needed to be more weird.
I can add weird.  Easily.  So I dug through my stash of stuff for hanging on walls [of which there is plenty, and nothing has really been put anywhere yet.  Indecision curses me.]
I added a painting of my cute little Rocky that I painted a couple of years ago [perfectly matching the color scheme, btw.  At least I'm consistent with color choices!] along with a cheap 70s floral piece I picked up at a thrift store when I was in college, and a super 70s owl wall-hanging-thing that belonged to my Grandma.
Muuuch better.  And you see the window? The room was begging for a hanging macrame planter.  My Grandma, who passed away last year, had several at her house; so I messaged my cousin - who bought her house and thus inherited said plants - and they were kind enough to let me give this one a new home.  It fits perfectly!

So here's the bathroom!  Eventually I'll replace the 'boob' light with something more interesting, but I hate it less than I hate my dining room fixture, so it'll have to wait.  For now, the room is airy, bright, and weird.  I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment